Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Boring

I just want to say to RaeAnn, I have no passions either!!

There are a lot of things I want to try to do, but I'm not really "passionate" about anything and I'm never really that good at something.  I kind of know how to knit, I kind of know how to sew,  I kind of know how to play the saxophone, I'm ok at writing but never have any good ideas, I kind of know how to play video games, but not super baller...the list goes on. The thing is, you can't be more than mediocre at anything unless you are 1) born with amazing genius talents or 2) (more likely) put a LOT of time into getting good at it.  I just don't care enough about one thing to dedicate that much time.  I don't think it's just me and Rae, I think a lot of people are in the same boat.

I am excited to start my dance class, but I'm sure we won't practice outside the weekly classes so, again, I won't become some amazing dancer. I just want to get one good choreographed dance so that when Troy and I get married in 2013 (diamond ring is on the New Years resolution list, so it's not official yet) we can rock out that first dance.

Anyway, sometimes I'm bummed about not having a definitive hobby, I wish that there was something I was really good at. Then I try to look at it from another angle, maybe I shouldn't be sad that there isn't one thing I'm good, but focus on everything that I know even a little bit about, and be proud that I know that much and could build on the knowledge if I wanted to.  And why do it if it doesn't make you happy? You can't force a hobby. If you try knitting and it becomes a chore before you know how to make more than a scarf, whatever, stop and pick it up later, or never.  Life is about being happy, not about forcing yourself to do something that you hope makes you happy if you put enough energy into it.  It probably won't. You'll probably just resent the time it's taking away from things you wish you were doing (even if that other thing is mundane like reading or TV or kitty cat time).

Take this blog. I'm not very good at it, I'm pretty sure only one person is reading it (thank you RaeAnn!), but  rambling on and on is somehow satisfying so I'll keep going until it's not.  Then it will go in the book of Things I Kinda Did Once.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Shannon! Yep I'm reading it and enjoy reading it (or I wouldn't). I do agree with what you said about doing something that makes you happy and not worrying about the passion thing. I hope some day I'll have time so that if I find something I really enjoy, I can do it and get good at it. That will be awhile though (at least until I get out of school. Its nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't really have a specific passion. Anyways now I'll stop rambling...
    Thanks again Shannon!

    ReplyDelete